CodeSpider is a command-line utility which looks through the html on a web page (or list of web pages)that you specify for any keyword or phrase you want, and tells you the line number where it finds your keyword or phrase.
You can easily use CodeSpider to:
- Search a single web page to make sure it contains “©2009″, or maybe
- Search through a list of web pages in a CSV for “<a href = “ikecube.com>”
- Save the results from your search in a CSV in the same step
- Automate the process using Windows Scheduler to create periodic “Reports”
Advanced users can use CodeSpider to:
- Use Regular Expression searches to find variations on your search like “©200.”
- Group several searches in a batch file for output to several CSVs
Creative users will no doubt find more ways to utilize the CodeSpider.
*This free download will expire after a set event, instructing you to come here to download a fresh version.
- To install and use CodeSpider, unzip the codespider.exe file into the desired directory (“c:\codespider” is recommended).
When ready, Click on your Start menu, and select Run, or hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press ‘R’.
Type ‘CMD’ in the Run menu, and press enter.
- Navigate to the directory where you unzipped the codespider.exe file by typing in “cd\[yourdirectory]” and press enter.
- Now type in “codespider” for a list of command line options to search your web pages:
Codespider /i:[csvfile] /w:[website to search] /s:[searchstring] /r:[regularexpression] /o:[outputfile]
/i: the path and location of a csv containing urls of pages to search. Each entry should be on its own line.
/w: a single web address to search. Can also be used in conjunction with /i: .
/s: the search term that you want CodeSpider to find. Use \ to escape double quotes.
/r: a regular expression search (advanced user option).
/o: the file location for text output in csv.
Codespider /i:c:\mycsv.csv /o:results.csv /w:http://www.yahoo.com/index.html /s:”<P ALIGN>”
A Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 Beta OS
.NET 2.0 Framework (Included with most Windows platforms)
OS User Privileges